Monday, July 29, 2013

Living in DC

If you haven't already heard, Brian (the boyfriend) was stationed to Quantico, which is a short hour to 2 hour drive from Washington DC.

He brought me with him.

In order to update everyone without crowding your facebook feeds with crap, I'm restarting the blog.

Here's what's happened in the last week or 2...

Monday July 15th

The movers came to pack all of our stuff into boxes.

Tuesday July 16th

The movers came and packed all of our stuff into a truck. We won't see it again until July 24th.

We head our in our cars to the east.

It is roughly a 13 hour trip that we plan to make in 2 days.

Once to tired to drive any longer we pullover for the night.

Our digs

Wednesday July 17th

We are to finish the last bit of our trip, but first breakfast.

We travel for hours.

Of course we have the dogs.

A 13 hour trip took us at least 15 hours, but it felt like way more.

Thursday July 18th

It is house hunting day!!!

We are less excited when we try to find a two bedroom place that allows dogs and isn't far from all the action. Ideally we were looking to live in Old Town Alexandria. A beautiful area 6 or so miles Southish from DC. (It's shaded in purple)

Where we are actually living

View Larger Map

It's about a mile from where we originally intended to be.

It's great because (unlike the others) it was ready immediately, allowed both of the dogs, didn't charge for dogs, most of the utilities are covered, lots of green space and its spacious for us.

Time for dinner.

We filled out the application that night!

Friday July 19th

While waiting (and hoping) to hear from the leasing company I decided to start job hunting. I have decided that I will try temping for a while. We are only due to be here 12 months at the most so I'm worried about getting into a job and basically having to leave it.

Before I moved I got a lot of information about different staffing companies in the area. I started to apply online and look for jobs. With in hours of finishing applications I started to get calls.

No interviews scheduled but I have a bunch of assessments to take over the weekend.

NO news from the leasing agency, looks like we will be in the hotel over the weekend. Not the worst situation in the world but if we leave we have to take the dogs. It is hot as hell and we basically have the option to be outside or stay in the hotel.

Saturday July 20th

Finally we can meet up with many of the people that we know in the area.

It was nice to relax and hang with friends.

Sunday July 21

After eating brunch with some friends we decided that the dogs must be as bored as us with being in the hotel room. Our friend told us of a dog park so we took them there.

It had a great place for the dogs to swim!!! They were not so excited.

It was good times.

Monday July 22nd

I start the day getting more calls from recruiters. I also set up an interview for Tuesday the 23rd. Not that it isn't enjoyable but I'm hoping to hear from our property manager that we can move in such luck. Not until Wednesday. Boo. I call the warehouse to confirm delivery of our stuff and our new address and he replied that they wouldn't be able to deliver until Monday the 29th. Not going to work. I'm hoping to start work on Monday and Brian must start on Monday.

I throw a fit.

Tuesday July 23rd

We get in the apartment today and the movers delivered instead of dropping off at the warehouse. This has solved the problem of us having everything we both need and caused the problem of too much stuff and not enough room to paint.

But we push on.

After my interview with a recruiter I head over to the new place. The movers made it before I did. Soon it looked like this

And I really needed to be doing this
It sounds easy enough but the previous tenants left some/most of their furniture, which was to be picked up before we moved in, but because I threw a fit there wasn't time...So us moving our things around their things proved to be time consuming and aggravating. Little by little we finished.

Painting and unpacking

Wednesday July 24

Painting and unpacking

Thursday July 25

Painting and unpacking
Some of the other's furniture gets picked up.

Friday July 26

Painting and unpacking

I got offered a job!

Saturday July 27

We are mostly done.
The rest of the furniture is gone!
We have to finish, friends are coming over and we are going out in Georgetown!!!

Sunday July 28

We are done and throwing a "moved-in" brunch party.
Our Complex

Living room
Dining room

Master with the mural that Brian painted for me...
Office/Music room/Gear room
Brian's favorite room

Monday July 29

We start work.
I will be working for 3d Systems. This is a company that produces 3d printers for in home use. I'm not 100% on what I will be doing. I know I will be filling orders, prioritizing production and checking in with customers. I'll let you know more as time goes on.
Now no more posts until awesome stuff happens on the weekends!

No comments: