Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busy Me

So lately I have been pretty busy. A lot of different things are going on here.

First up is the Open House. This is a way for us to show parents how much their students know and for them to meet us and see how we teach. Basically I have to over plan all my classes with these really creative activities and figure out how I can keep the parents entertained and showcase the students' talking and writing skills. I don't really have a lot to worry about because most of my students aren't that shy so they will talk a lot, but I am somewhat worried about how silly they will act.
Also we have to plan for Halloween. We have to come up with activities to do with our students. A lot of the students will invite some of their friends to come to school with them so that they can celebrate together. Since Halloween isn't a nationally recognized holiday or even really celebrated there aren't a ton of Halloween parties for the kids, thus they are really interested and love it. I do hear however that it is a huge time for adults and Westerners with parties and costume contests at local bars.

Last but not least, I took up Taekwondo. I go 5 times a week for an hour and a half. When I decided to come to Korea I knew I wanted to take lessons but I feel like I just got to a point where I can actually do it. A lot of the newness has worn off so I have time to take classes. I just started so I don't really know if I am all that good...mostly I am overwhelmed with the ettiquette side.
In case you don't know Taekwondo is a Korean martial art and the national sport of South Korea. It is the world's most popular martial art in terms of number of practitioners. Taekwondo is best translated as, "the art of kicking and punching A Taekwondo student typically wears a uniform (dobok 도복), often white but sometimes black or other colors, with a belt (tti 띠) tied around the waist. The belt indicates the student's rank. The school or place where instruction is given is called the dojang 도장.
Besides those three things taking all my time I also have to start writing the Christmas program that my students will perform. I have no idea what I will do so if you have any ideas let me know! Of course, as always I have sightseeing to do on the weekends.


Me in my dobok (a gift from the grand master) I don't have a tti yet...

5 comments:

Erica said...

I thought Starcraft was the national sport of Korea?

That's a lot of taekwondo!

Amanda Tedesco said...

Erica, hehe, although you have a point: there is a channel that has starcraft on like 24 7, I don't see Taekwondo on TV like ever. Yeah it is a lot of Taekwondo, but I should have my black belt (1st degree)before I come home!

Erica said...

that's sick dood. way to power toke! er...well, you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

How hard are the classes since I assume your teacher speaks little english?

-Jason

Amanda Tedesco said...

Erica, yeah it is crazy...yeah, I know what you mean.
Jason, actually he speaks a lot of English...he does have to teach me the Korean commands though so I will know them for the black belt test. The classes are hard, mentally and physically. Like anything else the beginning is hard but it is getting easier everyday.