Thursday, September 11, 2008

Festivities!

Today we made songpyeon. Songpyeon is a traditional Korean food made from glutinous rice. It is a variety of tteok, consisting of small rice cakes traditionally eaten during the Korean autumn festival, Chuseok. They have become a popular symbol of traditional Korean culture. Songpyeon are half-moon-shaped rice cakes filled with sesame seeds or chestnut paste steamed over a layer of pine needles, which gives them the fragrant smell of fresh pine trees. They used to be made into various shapes with the participation of family members and were often exchanged between neighbors. It is said that if you make a beautiful songpyeon your children or daughters will be beautiful.

Songpyeon is a lot like the rice cakes that I wrote about on August 11. So delicious, I love rice cakes which is good because it is in so many things here!!!

While I was waiting for Hannah in the subway station there was a band playing. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the holiday or it they were just playing for fun but it was interesting at least. I don't know if this is traditional music or not. I couldn't understand the MC that talked between songs (in Korean, of course) so I know nothing about it, but I thought it was interesting and decided to tape it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, those guys are from Peru (I think it's still the same guys). Ask Tammy. Thanks for getting the kids to send me letters! I'll have to write you an email that you can show them. How are the little kids? I really miss them.

Amanda Tedesco said...

Jen, yeah, didn't think that they were Korean...The little kids are great! They still miss you and many days at lunch when we do the "thank you blah, blah teacher" they say "thank you Jennifer Teacher." So yeah, I thought I would do better at the letter thing but I think it will be easier to do on holidays when no one wants to do anything...You should send me your addy in GB when you get it and of course I will read emails to the class. Take care!