Monday, August 4, 2008

Viva Korea

Today was my first day teaching all by myself. It was much easier than I was expecting it to be and overall went well. That being said I didn't plan any of the lessons...I did make a student uspset however. Today we were learning foods and I aske the class if they liked pizza once we got to that picture and one student said very plainly that no he didn't. I told him he was silly because pizza is delicious. Little did I know that he would take it the wrong way, he thought I was telling him that he was stupid or dumb. He went home to his mom and said "Mom, I don't understand, I don't like pizza but why am I stupid?" Not a big deal but it just goes to show you some of the language barriers that I deal with. Oh, and this is one of my smartest students...

For dinner tonight I had mondu and dim sum. In the picture in the top left is fried mondu, then the yellow on the top right is like a candied radish (really good and served with many dishes), in the middle is the dim sum (on the left) and mondu on the right and then bottoms left is just soy sauce. This is my new favorite food. For the 8 fried mondu, 8 regular mondu and the dim sum it only cost $7.50 and I split it with one of the other teachers. Not only tasty and delicious but also very cheap! Viva Korea!

3 comments:

jilllenz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jilllenz said...

I'm sure this won't be your last miscommunication with a student. Even when both student and teacher speak the same language, comments are not taken in the manner in which they were intended. I have personal experience with this one!

what's in the dim sum and mondu?

Amanda Tedesco said...

Mom, yeah I believe that...In the dim sum and mondu is a meat/vegetable mixture. Reminds me a little bit of egg roll filling...That is only one variation. Kimichi mondu is also common, kimichi is a spicy dish that is served with like every meal, it is cabbage with red pepper paste on it, I don't like it yet but everyone says that I will eventually like it.