Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Little Paris

Today we went to a part of Bundang (my suburb of Seoul) called Jeongja and it is this really upscale area. It is like Paris, or so I hear. I have no idea because I have never been there but both Ian and Jody think it is like Paris. Compared to the rest of the city it is quiet and clean. There are all these little cafes and boutiques in the area. That is pretty much all we did because I got up late and they wanted to go home early. We spent a great part of the day searching for this wine bar that Jody has been to before. Supposedly it is this place that is decorated with trees, birds, and nature(y) stuff and you sit inside and drink all kinds of wine. We didn't find it but if/when we go I promise to get pictures. We also went to a place called "I Love Cookie" which is this black market that sells things that you can't really get in Korea. I bought Mac&Cheese, it cost $2.50. I am saving it for a special occasion. Black market is what we use to describe these shops but really they are more like foreign food (and stuff) stores. The following pictures are of Jeongja, it was so cute.
Look at all the nice cars...Also, I thought I would let you know that all the cars in Korea are generally black or white, sometimes grey but hardly any other color, weird huh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the weather like over there? It's hot and humid as hell here in Chicago! How's the language going... did you find that book of children's songs in Korean helpful? I'll keep reading and comment again soon, assuming I do not kill myself or someone else at work (in which case I would probably not have computer access...).
Peace! --Maggie

Anonymous said...

Hey,
loved the museum pics and all the shopping info. How will you ever get it all back here? Sounds like you are having fun, I am so proud of you. I would never have been gutsy enough to do this!

Amanda Tedesco said...

Maggie, right now the weather is hot and humid, not like there though. When I talked to my mom last she said you guys have been in the 90's and even got up to 100...It's not that hot here, of course everything is in celcius so I'm not really sure what the temperature is but I would go with a humid 80's most days. Language is going well. Yes the book helped a ton, there is an alphabet in the back that I memorized so I could read signs and stuff, makes life much easier. Is work going ok? You sound stressed...If so quit and come here...Love Amanda

Aunt Debbie, How will I get it all back to the states? That's assuming I ever come back...Just kidding. One of the other teachers here said when he went home for the first time he sent an 8olb box of clothes home for like $60 which is cheaper than taking it to the airport. The teacher that just left (her's is the job I got....) sent 3 boxes of clothes home, so it must be the way to do it. On the being gutsy enough, the hardest part was the airports (no thanks to huge crybabies like mom and Jason, yes I just put that you cry on the internet)once I got here it has been easy and fun. I have a feeling you would love it here, maybe not for years, but this would be an awesome vacation spot, hint, hint...

pocket anthropologist said...

Jeong-ja! Tell Jody that the place he's looking for is on the ground floor of the Daily Kings building. What are you guys going to do without me?

Amanda Tedesco said...

Jen!!!!How is being home? Good I hope, how was the flight? Yeah, i knew when I first wrote the post that it was the wrong spelling, but I couldn't remember how to spell it, then I was reading the "pink book" and saw it and decided to change it and saw your comment. I will most definitly tell Jody where it is so we can go...I don't know what we will do without you, we miss you already and I am starting to freak about teaching, hopefully they won't hate me too much...