Friday, September 24, 2010

China-Day 1

I want to preface the whole trip with a couple facts that I found to be true about China. First I think the Chinese people we dealt with were super rude. Not all Chinese are that way but about all the Chinese that we bought things from or went to restaurants for or anything, rude. When we bought stuff many times the change or the thing we bought was thrown back at us. We thought it might be a cultural difference but then we noticed they didn't do it to other Chinese people. This, I think, goes hand in hand with another observation, their English ability is low. Now as a person from the States, a place that REQUIRES you to speak English or die, this was out of control. Ok, I get that I'm not speaking your language. I want you to know English but we can work with the language barriers, I can get around them. But to basically refuse help or service to me because I can't speak Chinese is rude. These two things made it difficult to get around and obviously buy things. Basically I wonder how deep the hate for white people is there. I do want to mention again that this is not EVERY Chinese person and some people were nice, just the majority weren't.

Food: not what you get in the American Chinese Buffet...Also I think that Colonel Sanders came in and killed General Tso because we didn't find any of his chicken. There were however so many KFC's...

Now on to our show...

The first day of our trip. We had a 2 hour flight to Beijing, China. Since we didn't think they would be feeding us on the plane we decided to grab "some" snacks!!! Some EPIC snacks!!! A Korean guy on the plane told us that these snacks were for kids. We were aware and didn't care...

Once we got to Beijing we met up with Jess's sisters. Then boarded a flight to Xi'an (pronounced She-an)Shortly after arrival we booked a room at this hotel:We are rich in China...

After we booked our room and put out luggage in our room we headed to the mall. As you are aware I love many things about malls. Clothes, shoes, stuff in general. But in a foreign country the mall can give you a good idea about how the people live. What they wear. What's important. That kind of thing. We ate dinner at the mall Food Court. We had sooo many options!

Next we went to a couple tour spots. The Drum Tower and the Bell Tower...Then got some Haagen Daaz and went to the night market.


I love night markets because you can get corny little trinkets and see crazy foods and bargain with the people. This one did not disappoint. After walking the maket for a while and purchasing some things we headed back to the hotel for the night.

No comments: